It is currently Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:11 am

Forum rules

The use of this forum is limited by these Terms of Service.

Trading on these forums is not allowed.
Ignoring this rule will result in a forum ban.

PAX 2010 

Post PAX 2010
This will be my first time going to PAX even though I have lived about 30 minutes from Seattle for my whole entire life (all 19 years of it) I am incredible stoked to go and am looking forward to playing the live demo so much that words cant describe it (although I'll try right here, kasjdgfakjldshgf, nope didnt work) Aside from playing the demo I am really hoping for a new mini (a la the grawl from 2007 I think) The biggest thing that I am hoping to see is a release date. PAX is Anets biggest US show (I think?) and with all the recent info released on GW2 I am really pulling for at least a rough time (like June 2011 or something like that) So now that I have said my bit I pose something to all of you, is there anything that you are really hoping to see at PAX? And not necessarily just about GW.

Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:30 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: PAX 2010
Well I don't really wanna know anything more about GW, I just would like to know everthing about GW² :haha:

Have fun there, lucky you ^_^

Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:36 am

Well for anyone who wants to read my 2 cents, here they are.

Ill try not to spoiler anything but we all make mistakes, just a warning

Firstly, GW2 looks AMAZING if the demo is anything to go by. The interface I thought was excellent and wasnt nearly as intrusive as I thought it might be after seeing videos of gamescon. A lot of people seem to not like the bigger damage numbers, but I didnt really think it was bad at all. Sure I can hit for a couple hundred damage, but the other guy has a couple thousand health. I realize this makes it more similar to other games, but as long as the percentages match up, I could care less if I only hit for 2 damage or 200000000000. Sadly there were no release dates, beta dates, beta keys, etc etc given out so, there is no new info on that front afaik. The character creation menu was open though, and that looks very promising for any of you RP'ers out there. Picking if your character was born into a common household, noble household etc as well as other things like picking your characters greatest regret (not joining the circus ftw) Those choices actually affect how the game plays out which I thought was a very nice touch. All in all the game looks great in just about every aspect. Also for what its worth, the game was pretty fun to play in 3D if any of you want to fork over the dollars when it comes out :D

In other news, most of the more anticipated games had huge lines, and because I was only there for 1 of the 3 days I didnt wait in any of them, except for GW2 of course. From what I could see though, Fable 3 looked pretty good, and as long as its anything like the other ones I would think it will be fun to play. Halo Reach was there, but I dont like Halo and paid 0 attention to that so I cant comment on how it looks, but the line was almost 3 hours long. Duke Nukem also had a huge line and because their station was enclosed, you had to wait through the whole line to even see gameplay. So for anyone looking for info on that, I've got nothing. For all of you Fallout fans, I did play the New Vegas demo and all I can say is that fully automatic grenade launchers are awesome. Seriously though, the game was very good but I think that you need something like 4-5 hours before you get a real sense of how good a game like that is. Microsoft had their Kinect thing out in force, and I have to say I was skeptical of it at first, but it is a lot of fun. I demo'ed a racing game (dont remember the name XD) and you just sat down and mimed driving, it was a lot of fun. Whether or not its worth the supposed 150 USD price tag, that has yet to be seen. I have never been an Assassins Creed fan, but the demo for the newest one (brotherhood) was pretty good. The graphics were the most impressive part for me, but the gameplay was nice. I cant really compare it to the other ones because I have never really played them, but I thought it was pretty good. There were other cool things besides games as well. Microsoft again (there was a lot of Microsoft, probably because they are based like 20 minutes away) had a very cool piece of hardware. For anyone who has heard about or is familiar with the Microsoft Surface, it is awesome. I played some Settlers of Catan (if you dont know what that is, its a great board game I would highly recommend) on the Surface and it was great. No breaking the board or accidentally destroying all the pieces. Its super expensive, 15,000 USD, but hey if you have the money go buy one :P

Thats all that I can think of off the top of my head for right now, and I need to go to class so I have to wrap this up. If you can think of a question I will try to answer it if I can. But I will leave you with this link
http://www.massively.com/photos/pax-2010-guild-wars-2-photos/#3334652
(hint, I am the tall one on the right :D)

Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:49 pm
Profile E-mail

Many thanks for that quick report :) !

Here are some questions :
-Did you only play the human starter area or also played the more advanced charr area ?
-Did you spend some time watching the perks and traits system ?
-Is there any loot except reward chests (are they assigned to a character) ?
-There is no click to move nor "auto-attack" (click on enemy and character will wand or swing sword automaticaly) , but does is still feel like GW or more FPS like (have to use keyboard to strafe/kite/move).
-If the above question is FPS, how do you aim ? Can you miss physical/magical attacks ? or is there an auto aim once you cliked on an enemy?

I've got many more question but that will do for the moment :)
And please if you feel like sharing a bit more of your experience, don't hesitate :D :haha:

Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:12 am

Here are some questions :
-Did you only play the human starter area or also played the more advanced charr area ?
I played the human area, although while waiting in line to play, I saw the charr area. A lot. Also the group I was with played the charr area

-Did you spend some time watching the perks and traits system ?
The perks not so much, but the traits reminded me of the elder scrolls system, when you level up you get to raise your (insert something like perception here). I didnt really read what any of them did, I was too busy clicking through so that I could keep playing.

-Is there any loot except reward chests (are they assigned to a character) ?
There is loot dropped by every single creature (or so it appears) From the demo, whenever I killed something it dropped a bag of loot that you opened and then took whatever out of. I dont know if it gets assigned or not, as I was playing by myself

-There is no click to move nor "auto-attack" (click on enemy and character will wand or swing sword automaticaly) , but does is still feel like GW or more FPS like (have to use keyboard to strafe/kite/move).
It felt like guildwars to me, you can still C+Space your way through things if you want (ftw) the movement felt very responsive so in that regards the keyboard is fine. I do have to point out that I am a keyboard player for Guild Wars 1, so that may have factored into it

-If the above question is FPS, how do you aim ? Can you miss physical/magical attacks ? or is there an auto aim once you cliked on an enemy?
You click things to target them. The demo had it set up so that the F key was the interact key and the space bar was jump (we can do that now!) So to kill something you had to click it then hit F (or target with the keyboard) As to missing, yes you can miss. Both with normal attacks and skills. Some skills allow you to move while casting while others dont. In the demo I only actually used 3 spells (which I am sad to note I didnt read the descriptions of and dont know their names XD) The first was basically fireball and flare from GW1 rolled into the same skill. Longer cast time, AOE and no cool down. That skill could be cast while moving, but it decreased you chances of hitting your foe. The second skill was more similar to Immolate I guess. Single target damage, that was actually lower than the other skill. Fast cast time but you couldnt move while casting and never missed. The last was ether renewal which turns your mana into health, very rapidly. You could not move while casting, but if you did it would stop the cast and you would stop draining mana. Also I wasnt paying a whole lot of attention to it but I think that both fire spells caused burning, which would lead me to believe that all fire spells would do so.

Ill write more if I think of anything, and answer any other questions if I can

Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:38 am
Profile E-mail
Staff

hmm, thanks for your report. Makes me regain a little confidence in GW2 after I saw those insane damage numbers ;)

Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:31 pm
Profile E-mail