[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4286: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
GW Auctions Forums - View topic - Venting ..
It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:15 am

Forum rules

The use of this forum is limited by these .

Trading on these forums is not allowed.
Ignoring this rule will result in a forum ban.

Venting .. 

Post Venting ..
I wasn't quite sure where to put this, but I figured offtopic was the best place to put this. I don't mean for this post to come off as a whining complaint but I've frankly had enough and I've been dealing with this ever since I started using GWA again. I've talked with other sellers and I've heard the same things coming from them but not necessarily from the same buyers. Please don't read this if yer planning to be rude about what I have to say or twist my words. I'm venting about this because it's occurred more than a dozen times and I'm starting to get sick of it. So again, please don't read this if you plan to be rude and close minded about the situation.

I won't get into all my personal information, but I'll sum it up to this: I'm married, I have kids, I have a full time job, and most importantly my wife is pregnant (and it hasn't been an easy pregnancy at all by far). I'm dealing with a lot but I'm still trying to do my best with completing trades and being fair and kind to people. I put my availabilities on my profile under the comments section and now I'm starting to do it on the actual comments section of the auction. I won't point fingers, but lately it's been nonstop people complaining about these (99% of them are new to the site or they have under 20 auctions).

I get a little frustrated sometimes and who wouldn't? Again, I try to be as polite as I can but I also wish that these players would understand without me having to go into my whole personal life that I don't just stand around waiting to complete trades. I have certain available hours and I shouldn't have to sit there on the weekends and put myself offline/DND just so that I don't get criticized for having a life outside of trading. Never once have I not been able to meet with somebody during my POSTED availabilities. I might have had to delay for a few moments because I was in the middle of finishing up something, but on weekdays after 7 PM PST all I do is sit at GToB int d1 or at my GH and wait for people to get on so that I can trade with that. That's all I do. The times I'm on during my non-availabilities (especially on the weekends), I'm actually playing the game. My work hours vary, it's not a set 9-5 job. Sometimes I open, sometimes I don't start until early afternoon. Either way, I'm home by the time I have posted unless something comes up then it's possible I might be late or not on at all. I tried trading with individuals in the past before work but I found that it often irritated individuals if I told them I was only available for x amount of time and I would run late to work because I just didn't feel like fighting with an individual.

Not only am I getting frustrated, but it upsets my wife too. Just yesterday (5/10) I had difficulties with a buyer because I was asked if I could help out on a mission. I initially got on to do some trades before work and was going to meet with the person. They, however, were in a mission so I told them that if I was still around and available to trade, that I would gladly meet with them. Time passed, I finished getting my kids ready for school and making breakfast for my wife and that's when I agreed to help with the mission. The buyer messages me shortly after I've started the mission and then flips out (for the lack of a better term) about me not being able to trade and how he had to wait 48 hours for it. We couldn't even do the mission because I had to deal with the buyer IG (until I put him on ignore) and then here in the shoutbox.

I understand the want for a speedy trade. I like getting them done ASAP but I also enjoy playing a game that relaxes me and allows me to get away from life for a little bit. I'm certainly willing to meet with people if they're several hours ahead of me and we have trouble meeting up during my availabilities -- but I'm less likely to comply to that if you come after me and be rude about it when I'm trying my best.

I enjoy using GWA and I appreciate the buyers that I interact with time and time again. It's thanks to yer patience and understanding that keeps me here and makes me want to continue using GWA. I know if I left, it probably wouldn't be a big deal to anybody. I'm not here to get recognized or to be somebody popular and special. I'm not here to have people beg me to stay if I were to leave. Regardless, I really enjoy using this site and interacting with the individuals who understand I have certain availabilities and such. So thank you for that (again, I won't mention any names because this isn't about pointing out those who have been great and those who have been rude). I would miss using GWA but my wife and I don't need this added stress we get from rude and inconsiderate players. We take the time to make a schedule around our busy lives to include a time just for trading and we hold our patience and keep our moods to ourselves as best as we can.

My family practices one simple concept: Mutual Respect. I do my best to apply that here, although sometimes it's hard to be polite to a buyer that is being completely rude.

I think that's all. Sorry for the long post, I just had to get that off my chest.

Tue May 11, 2010 6:24 pm
Staff

Post Re: Venting ..
I'm very sorry to hear. I want the site to be a pleasant experience for everyone using it, but the larger the community grew the harder it got. Do know that I for one would be sorry if you left, especially considering the cause.

Tue May 11, 2010 10:20 pm
Profile E-mail

Tue May 11, 2010 10:45 pm

Don't let it get to you. If I have people log on and I'm in in a mission I simply tell them "Sorry, I'm in a mission right now, can we trade in just a bit?" Usually people are nice about it! If you got someone that wasn't nice about it just put them on ignore so they can't do it to you in the future :)

Thu May 13, 2010 3:36 pm

i havn't done any auctions lately but back when i was active i had a very simple policy
rudeness=no sale
pure and simple......

Mon May 17, 2010 10:32 am
Profile E-mail

I know how you feel Tiger. I've run into my share of bad buyers as well. Overall, I must say that most buyers are very nice or at least "not rude". Occassionally the bad seeds creep in though. One thing you just have to remember is not to take it personally. It's a game and it's it's not worth getting upset over. The bad buyers are usually kids that probably don't get along with anyone else in their life either. GW is their life and they just can't understand why you aren't online 24/7 either. When you try to explain, it just goes over their head. The only thing you can do is try to arrange a time and if they don't like it, just put them on ignore.

Here are some ideas. They may help or they may not work for you.

1. You have your availability in your profile, but honestly, I rarely look at seller's profiles when I'm buying stuff. I add them to my friendslist and look for them ingame. If I don't hear from them for a few days, I send them a message here. You said you added your hours to the auctions, that's a good idea. At least the buyer can't claim ignorance when you say you aren't available.

2. Whenever I sell something, I send the buyer a quickie pre-saved form letter. Usually "Thx for the purchase. I usually play in the evenings, American Eastern time and i'll look for you to make the trade. Let me know if this is a bad time and we'll arrange something." This at least lets the buyer know I got the message that the item sold and i'm waiting to trade. Perhaps you could send a similiar e-mail stating your availability again and include Fate's suggestion that rudeness cancels the sale.

3. Could you use a 3rd party for the trade? I only recommend this if you have a close friend that plays that can be online more than you. You could give the merchandise to them to make the trade on your behalf for buyers that absolutely can't come online during your hours. This would need to be someone you trust implicitedly to not rip you off. Maybe a close guildmate or real life friend that plays. I sell stuff on here all the time for a friend and I get 10% of her sales price.

4. When you want to play Guild Wars with friends and don't want to be bothered, just set yourself to offline. Your buyer will think you're offline and won't be able to bug you and your friends and teammates still can chat with you thru guild chat or team chat.

Don't feel like you have to explain your entire personal history to buyers if you don't want to. Just say, I'm available during these hours only. Any other time is reserved for missions with my friends or real life concerns. And don't let a little brat spouting off get to you. Just remember that you have a much better life than he does.

Sat May 29, 2010 4:56 am
Profile E-mail