[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4286: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
GW Auctions Forums - View topic - Accepting Bids Early
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:39 pm

Accepting Bids Early 
Staff

Post Accepting Bids Early
I have a problem or three! 8)

I have loads of auction items which all take up space on mules. Luckily, I have a few of the items regularly turning over and creating fresh space. ;)

Generally, my auctions are set for 5 ,6 or 7 days as to completion depending upon when I expect to have the time to manage mass editing at next renewal but my space problem does cause me to sometimes look at an item that has been bid upon, watch it and then think, "Okay, no more bids are likely and with only a few hours to go, I'll accept the current bid and create the space I need if I can trade it quick!" . . . . this can create a problem for (a) previous bidders and/or (b) genuinely interested bidders who are waiting for the last few hours to jump in and bid at or about s/b and so avoid a bidding war. [With me so far? Keep awake at the back there!!] :S

Okay, here is the suggestion. Allied to the "Accept the Current Bid" option, could there be set a short delay (maybe just a few hours) before the item goes to "Sold" state, messages sent to the current and ALL previous bidders to warn them of the imminent closure of the auction and support those previous bidders, who may have avoided counter-bidding and triggering an auction war? :)

This would avoid the instance that occurred regarding to which the attached Comments outline the instance when this suggested process might have been beneficial to both a previous bidder and the Seller (me) and without causing offence to the then current winning bidder. :wub:

Any thoughts?

Iain (aka Bearz)

Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:05 am
Profile E-mail
Staff

Post Re: Accepting Bids Early
Hmm not a bad idea. It'll have to wait until the host switch is done though

Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:17 pm
Profile E-mail

I agree with Bearz. This would be a nice option to have.

Yeah, I'm still sore over the mini panda :angry: .

Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:40 pm
Profile E-mail

I dunno, if they wanted to bid on it, shouldn't they go ahead instead of waiting til the last minute? By waiting they already lose the chance of having someone push "accept" So if they don't want to lose at least a chance, they shouldn't wait so long.

You accept the chance you take, by not bidding when you notice it's an item you'd like? Because at any moment the seller could decide, ok thats a nice price, let me accept it. :S

But I dunno, just my thoughts. It could be nice in a way, but usually if i hit the "accept" button. I see the person online in game and decide that I will just trade then

Fraternal Hero - Pink Animal Clan [pink] Leader
Fraternal Hero Il - The Pink Clan [pink] Officer

Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:32 pm
Profile E-mail
Staff

It is true that someone shouldn't wait with bidding, but that might not always be the case. Due to timezones it could be 4 AM at the time the bid is accepted for an interested buyer. He may have placed a bid 10 hours ago and would certainly bid again, but the seller may have already accepted the other bid. Bad for the buyer and the seller. However, in this example a delay of 3 hours (which is already a lot) wouldn't help either.

But of course, looking at it from the other side, maybe there's only one bidder in total, you may be going to visit your family, you see your trade partner online and decide to quickly trade the item. You click accept and the site suddenly tells you you have to wait 3 more hours until you can trade.

So it could be added in addition to the current accept bid, but that would be confusing. And the item page is filled with enough buttons as it is.

There is another possibility. You already have to confirm you accept the bid. In the event that you're accepting a bid on an item that has two bids in the past 24 hours by separate users you could be warned (in red letters) that there is probably still a buyer out there interested in bidding more and that it would be unwise to accept the bid at this time.

Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:05 pm
Profile E-mail
Staff

Maarten,

I like the idea of the last suggestion of a recent bid warning. The right to sell to the most recent bidder is still a Seller's prerogative but it is a nice to have to remind the Seller that another party has also had recent interest and so should be taken into consideration.

I entirely agree that the logistics of the delay could be of less value than I first thought so this might just be the way to highlight the fact that there is competitive bidding as recently as 24 hours. It does not get over the fact that some bidders try to delay there return to the fray until the last knocking simply to avoid the risk of a bidding war but I guess, as Alorae indicated above, that is the risk that they take - its no worse than making an entry level bid and then findng you lose the item as someone has offered Buy Out . . . . c'est Le Guerre! ;)

Bearz

Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:31 pm
Profile E-mail
Staff

True, I should update the help section again some time and make it quite clear that are are some forms of fair-game protection that only work if you make it clear you're in the game.

Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:25 pm
Profile E-mail

Great Idea!

Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:02 pm
Profile E-mail

Well I just got sniped outta another auction. :angry: I guess there is no good solution to this except perhaps to warn the seller that he's losing money by closing auctions early.

I was bidding on an item along with at least 2 other bidders that I know of. I checked this morning to see what the bidding was up to and saw that the seller had closed the auction. It still had 2 more days to run. I had a bid in on the item, but it was a low bid. I expected a sale above 50k and the current bid was 5k. I bid 6k and got 1 upped immediately at 6.5k. Well I don't like to continue micro-bidding so I figured I'd wait until the morning and see how it stood today. The item is gone and apparently it sold for 40k.

Someone got a bargain and it certainly wasn't the seller.

I'd still like to see hidden max bids implemented like on e-bay, but I think that solution got voted down. There has to be some way to protect against early closes without watching the site every minute like a hawk. Perhaps something could be done with the tracking?

Ok, how about this for an idea.....feel free to improve upon it.
When you bid on an item you automatically "track" it - already done.
You can track an item without bidding. - already done.
If you are outbid then you get a message and you continue to track it, UNTIL you open the outbid message or 24 hours have passed. Whichever comes first. If you read the outbid message and do not place a new bid after say 2 hours, then you automatically stop tracking the item.
The seller has the ability to see how many people are tracking the auction. They can't see who is tracking other than the bidders.
If the seller tries to close early and there are trackers other than the high bidder, they get a warning. Should they be able to go ahead and close the auction? I think so. After all there may be a stupid kid that has tracked every auction, but at least now they are given warning that they may lose bids.

Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:06 pm
Profile E-mail
Staff

Bhaw, a shame that happens, for you and the seller :(

I see what you mean, but it hardly defers from checking for bidder in the last 24 hours. The only differance is that you can also just track the auction instead of bidding on it. But if you want to buy it anyway you might as well place a bid. It's just a little more complicated than simply checking for different bidders in the last 24 hours and it comes down to almost the same.

I wouldn't like my track being cleared automatically either, even if I'm outbid and I read the message. You might click the message away and lost the auction or you might want to bid later.

Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:26 am
Profile E-mail