[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4286: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
GW Auctions Forums - View topic - Anti Snipe Measures
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:03 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Anti Snipe Measures 

What anti snipe measure do you vote for? Read more below
Poll ended at Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:36 pm
Option 1: Increased minimum bid for new bidders in the final stage 21%  21%  [ 3 ]
Option 2: Hide auctions from new bidders in the final stage 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Option 3: Increase delayed closing for new bidders 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Option 4: Nothing 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Option 5: Proxy bids 64%  64%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 14

Anti Snipe Measures 
Staff

Post Re: Anti Snipe Measures

Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:43 pm
Profile E-mail
Staff

reserves are wrong, shouldn't exist, ever.

what bearz has outlined is a fraud that can happen with or without proxy bidding, but would be abused more with proxy bidding.

Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:09 pm
Profile E-mail
Staff

Raven,

Do I feel a prize jerk! :haha:

Phhhffff! Who would want a Polar Bear anyway! :P

Soqed,

I think you are right in essence. the capability to force higher bids through fraud is always a risk. I simply throw it into the discussion to highlight the risk that Proxy Bids make it more functional. In a way Ms Raven (<grin>) has highlighted how this abuse has been used in other places to artificially kill off an auction so that it is never sold unless the Bid reaches dizzying heights that mere mortals like me only dream of.

Iain

Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:45 pm
Profile E-mail
Staff

Hmm thinking about it, only one proxy bid has to be saved per auction. Namely the highest. Any higher proxy bid can overwrite it after calculating the new current_bid and any lower bid only has to update the current_bid. That can immediately prompt you with the message that you have been outbid by a proxy bid without the need of sending an outbid notification. It's actually quite easy to implement :haha:

Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:02 pm
Profile E-mail

What Bearz referred to as mugging is called "shill bidding". A shill is a cover, fake; someone in collusion. As Soqed typed, that could be happening now, with the extended bidding times in place. If the same IP or recurring shill is used they shouldn't be too difficult to spot, and (hopefully) ban the parties involved. I missed the post about Ember, but from what I saw in shouts got the impression that he was ID'd as a previously banned member. We're a small community, for now ;)

If you put something up for auction, or won one, and think something's hinky (yeah, I'm an NCIS fan) you can PM a mod to look into it before trading your item or gold.

This isn't "that other site", and can't see the "if it gets a bid consider it sold" rule being removed. There's a price check thread on forums here, as well as Price Records on homepage. Unfortunately the forum seems underused but that can change with increased membership, participation, and letting people know it's there.

I'm also one of the ones that is asleep or otherwise occupied when auctions end. Sometimes the time bumps help me, sometimes they make me go "Grrrrrrrrrrrr!" lol If proxies are in place I'd feel comfortable in setting it and forgetting it.

I can only imagine how much work it will be to modify an already successful auction system. Thanks for all the hard work and dedication to making this an awesome place to trade! I'm doing my bit word-of-mouth and so far all have been happy or downright impressed:)

Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:02 am
Profile E-mail
Staff

actually, to try stop it as much as possible, same ip's cannot bid on same ips items, but this doesn't stop friends doing it, or other things. We just have to be careful.

Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:01 am
Profile E-mail
Staff

Thank you Kerumble :wub: The site is definitely worth it, thanks to you members :haha:

And yeah, there is IP security that should stop bidding on your own actions, even from a different account. Although IP security is never fool proof it can help us getting sorting out the mess when something fishy is going on. That does rely on users reporting fishy situations of course, but luckily a lot do. :)

Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:45 am
Profile E-mail

I believe you will need an "OR" in there to handle raising of the proxy bid in case it is higher than the latest bid, but not the full 5% standard increase.

i.e...

winning proxy bid is 5111 with a showing bid of 4750
new bid is 5000
default auto proxy would be 5250, but will be 5111 (proxy increase OR larger/equal to new bid), and not be discounted because it couldn't reach 5250.

Also, the 5% increase should pull from a range table so as to not have odd increments.

Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:17 pm
Profile E-mail
Staff

When a new (maximum)bid is made that is lower or equal to the current winning maximum bid, the new actual bid on the auction will be the lowest value of "Current Winning Maximum Bid" and "(New maximum bid * 1.05) rounded to the nearest 100g". No need for an OR that way :) And it ensures that whatever else may go wrong, you'll never bid more than the maximum bid you placed.

If the new maximum bid is higher than the current maximum bid you simply swap the values and the new bid will be the lowest of "New Maximum Bid" and "(Old Maximum Bid * 1.05) rounded to the nearest 100g"

Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:01 pm
Profile E-mail

Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:29 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next