[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4286: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
GW Auctions Forums - View topic - xtremeTop100 Button
It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:58 am

xtremeTop100 Button 
Staff

Post xtremeTop100 Button
It has struck me that if one does not refresh their window with the GW Auctions Website when the 12 hours since last vote has passed that the button does not reappear automatically.

I try to vote first thing in the morning and a second time in the evening. If I do this around about 8:30am and pm I can manage 2 votes a day fairly consistently. However, age is a factor, so I sometimes need a reminder. If I don't happen to refresh the window and if I don't see the button, I frequently miss the pm slot and only get to vote the following morning when I return to my computer and logon again. :(

Is there some way to generate a server-side refresh on the client computer so that, when the 12 hours has passed, the xtremeTop100 button reappears automatically at that exact time and not when the screen is refreshed? This would help with old guys like me and others who may be so busy that a gentle reminder is a help. ;)

I lose grey cells by the day so a little bit of help is essential if we want to keep the voting upwards and onwards during the current challenge!

Bearz

Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:41 am
Profile E-mail
Staff

Post Re: xtremeTop100 Button
You're not the only one in need of memory support. I'm only 18 and I forget everything unless I write it down :huh:

Anyway, a once-per hour refresh is possible, a once per 10 minutes refresh would be too often. Once-per hour doesn't necessarily mean you get to see the vote button though.

A different solution could be a warning stating that the page is XXX minutes old and doesn't represent the current state of affairs (or something like that). The warning could automatically appear after, say, 20 minutes and include a link to refresh the page. Making the warning noticeable is easy enough :)

Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:27 pm
Profile E-mail

can u implement somin like the shoutbox auto refreshes when some1 posts an new message, i know that this is possible i have seen it done(with my own eyes!) you could make it refresh every 10 mins, i dont see how this is an problem imo.

just my worthless opinion, but still there it is ^_^

Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:25 pm
Profile E-mail
Staff

Once upon a time, the shoutbox here also worked like a chatbox. However, there is only one way to do this and that is polling the server for updates regularly. With 70 visitors updating their shoutbox every second this leads to quite some wasted traffic. Coincidently, the server became really slow the evening after the implementation. While it may have been coincidence, it scared me so I removed it again.

A complete page refresh is always bad if done more frequently than once an hour. This because it keeps sessions alive that could/should expire but mostly because the user could be typing a message when the shoutbox refreshes -> Message gone.

Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:39 pm
Profile E-mail

cant u isolate the shoutbox or somin, and maby do it auto like every 2mins or somin

Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:49 pm
Profile E-mail
Staff

Not ignoring Frozen's request but getting back to the alternate solutions re the topic.

Would it be possible to see a personal reminder of when the xtremeTop100 button was last clicked (or vote cast or whatever it is that 'hides' the button?). Or, perhaps better still, time elapsed since that event?

This might be a useful way of gearing someone up to doing a manual refresh at or about the time the twelve hours is up.

My thought is that a timestamp of say 11:55 hours since last vote is better than an autorefresh an hour after the button could have reappeared. The reminder of time elapsed might trigger the manual refresh and allow casting the vote at a more suitable time.

Would that be feasible?

Bearz

Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:02 pm
Profile E-mail
Staff

Yes but there is one problem.

Imagine a user with two pages open, page 1 and page 2. Both show the xtremetop100 button.
The user clicks the button on page 1. The button on page 1 is replaced with a countdown starting at 12:00.
On page 2, the button is still visible.
Now he opens a third page which also shows the countdown.
When the countdown is done the users clicks vote on page 3.
Page 1 shows a countdown at 0 while page 2 shows a vote button and page 3 a countdown counting down from 12:00 again.

I'm not sure this really makes thing clearer. It works well with only one page open but it gets strange with multiple pages.

I'm not sure if this really matters, a countdown to your next vote possibility is definitely both "cool" and useful.

Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:31 pm
Profile E-mail

could this work:

on the server you have a file called "seller's data"
it is filled with this:
last time he visited /vote: 299 hours ago.
if that is more or equal than 12 hours, refresh his page

the downside would be that if the page refreshes the thing I typed in the shoutbox is gone, I really hate such things.
and the file is just something to make it clear for me, it doesnt have to be a file ;)
and if it is exactly like this the page would keep refreshing, so some improvement there too ;)

Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:14 pm
Profile E-mail
Staff

That's not possible since refreshes cant be forced by the server. Once the page is loaded the connection is closed. And your login data can be lost after 6 hours so Ajax isn't going to work either :|

Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:50 pm
Profile E-mail

Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:26 pm
Profile E-mail