[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4286: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
GW Auctions Forums - View topic - Account hack of Michelle and KennyLynd
It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:50 am

Account hack of Michelle and KennyLynd 

Post Account hack of Michelle and KennyLynd
Hello everyone :)

I propose to help Michelle and Kenny to refund their account.
I for myself am ready to give few valuables items to them so they can reequip their favorite char.
If everyone payticipate ;) a little I am sure they can get back to a "playable" level.

But first of all they have recover moraly from that thievery.

Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:47 pm
Staff

Post Re: Account hack of Michelle and KennyLynd
This is an excellent idea. :)

I am well up for helping them out as best I can - which is probably quite a lot if one could see my 7 pack mules! ;)

Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:30 pm
Profile E-mail

I've got lots of (rare) crafting materials which I could give and also some nice stuff on some heroes.
Just need to knwo what kind of things for which type of char they need :)

Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:28 pm

Ok, first things first. Before donating anything to their accounts, they need to recover those accounts and determine how they were hacked. About 99% of all hacked accounts are the result of keyloggers or trojans that are on the owners PC's. It does no good to recover an account, change the pw and then lose the account again a month later because the keylogger was still there.

Kenny/Michelle, if you're reading this then ask yourself these questions. You don't have to post the answers publicly, but it's a good checklist to run thru yourself.

1. Have you visited any "shady" sites. You don't necessarily have to buy stuff or download from them. Sometimes just visiting a site is enough to catch a virus. Some examples are gold seller sites, cheat sites, GW hacks/bots for sale sites, etc.

2. What e-mail did you use for your GW accounts? Is this a well-used e-mail that you've also registered here and on other forums. If your username/email is known to a hacker then it's relatively easy for them to hack the account. I think you said earlier in the shoutbox that the gw password is strong, but if the e-mail account itself is compromised then it's an easy backdoor into NCSoft to change those passwords.

3. Does anyone else know your account passwords? Perhaps your kid brother? Your cousin? Your guildleader that needed access for some reason last week? I don't care if you say, "Yeah well, but I trust him. He'd never do anything to my account!!" Maybe he would, or maybe he wouldn't. That's not the point. Perhaps he is trustworthy, but is his computer secure? Maybe your highly trustworthy guildleader has your password on a computer that's riddled with viruses.

4. What computers have you used recently to access your accounts? (Including accessing any forums, NCSoft websites, Arenanet, etc). Do you use just your home PC, or do you use laptops carried various places, netcafes, work PCs, etc? Your account could be compromised that way. A guildie of mine recently lost his account this way. He's a high school kid that's been playing for a few years and built up a nice account. He went off to his freshman year at college in September and immediately lost the account. Turns out he was using the dorm's wireless network to connect to the net and a dormmate saw his laptop on the network and stole the account. It was the same story you've experienced. Arenanet said XIAN China was regularly logging into the account and using it for botting and gold selling.

So, first buy a strong anti-virus package if you don't already have one and give your PC's a thorough cleaning. If nothing is found then start checking other possibilities. Remember, if you don't know how your account was compromised then you can't protect yourself from it happening again. Contact Arenanet and ask for their help. Once you're sure you're secure then start re-building.

Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:23 pm
Profile E-mail

Yeah once their computer are safe, we would alos need a list of what excatly they lost.
If Michelle or Kenny could do it ?

Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:33 pm
Staff

Further to Raven's sound advice, I have posted a News Item on the front page.

If anyone uses any external GuildWars related content website with password access and the password used is the same as for access to GuildWars, it is imperative that they change and isolate their GuildWars account(s) password(s) as soon as practicable.

ArenaNet have vouched that their GuildWars servers are secure but cannot be responsible for lack of or compromised security of websites not under ArenaNet control but which are attractive to visitors because of GuildWars related content - this includes the Fansites.

Maarten is confident that the GW Auctions website is secure but it remains true that it is better to ensure that GuildWars password(s) is/are different and as secure as possible by isolated use.

Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:58 pm
Profile E-mail

I know the shield michelle loved the most because i sold it to her after she looked for it for ages :( will see if I can get another.

Can offer runs through missions though if i am about

Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:07 am
Profile E-mail
Staff

all way willing to help with missions or quests add me as a friend

in game name Wombat the one

Catch you on the flip side

Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:44 am
Profile E-mail

Hey Raven, I am pretty much a privacy geek, so there aren't any key-loggers on my computer. As for the shady sites, I have visited them in the past, mostly looking for pictures to post when I was selling stuff on guild wars guru. Not for this site because it is much easier to get my own pictures to post, and because I like my own better! This may have been where they started if they snatched my email off the query visits on their sites. I don't know. I have noticed that in logging on to NCsoft, if it is a legit name as opposed to something bogus like blzzzzzzzz, it doesn't tell you that it doesn't exist, but it does ask you for different information. Not your security questions, but it asks you for your birth date. That's not much in the way of making it harder to detect genuine log ins. What I need to do is convince NCsoft that I need to change my login name now. :angry:

I am the Guild Leader and the only other member is Michelle. No kids or brother in laws accessing any of it or even that have their own accounts and play.

Yeah, we used our main email addresses. Didn't see how valuable our accounts would become when we started playing! Wanted all emails from GW or related to come there......

We use two computers Laptop and Desktop. No where else do we play.

I have changed every password we have to something entirely different alphanumeric LONG ones. But I still feel vulnerable from NCsoft. Like you said, if they know the log in, it's probably just a matter of time......

As for viruses......not a chance! Believe me. I have a very light virus system that doesn't hog resources, but aside from that I have a completely different hard drive I keep to the side. It is a perfect clone of my main hard drive with all programs pointers and shortcuts I use. All the important things are on a hard drive with no OS: Music, Pictures, Documents. Passwords are all encrypted with an alpha numeric password of a length you would not believe. I really recommend the free program TruCrypt! In any case, the entire computer is scanned daily and I clone my perfect drive to the current one at least twice a week. Mostly I do it because every generation of Windows that has had access to the internet will inevitably trash itself up. It takes 8-9 hours of hands on to install from scratch and get it like I want again. My system takes 4 hours. Plug up the other hard drive, slip in the clone disk, designate to the clone program from where to where, and go to bed. :patient:

Like I said, I am hip to the privacy thing, and consider myself god of the computer.........guess I have been taken down a notch or so. LOL 0.o

It all boils down to this: I used common names and passwords for my gaming things. The Guild Wars items gold, etc are very valuable in the real world to these gold sellers and I imagine that with all the gazillions of players available playing not only GW, but WOW, and the myriad of other online games that have a monetary system, there are thousands hacked every day. That would still put it at probably hundreds for GW alone, a number that if there are 5 million players, and 500 get hacked a day, would be comparable to losing 1 player per hundred thousand. The truth is probably less. That would make the odds pretty steep. China has a very LIVELY hacker identity. Hackers are up there with Movie Stars. They have hacker societies, websites, organizations, and very little policing of those that do it to countries outside of China. I suppose that we have similar ideas about certain kinds hackers, but its a whole nuther thing there, and I am sure for many other places.

I suppose that any Chinese kid with a computer just has to pirate an account, take their characters to Balthazar or Kamadan, convert a bunch of stuff to gold, ectos, or z keys, contact one of the gold seller sites and tell them what they have to sell. With all the vast amount of players buying such items for cash, I am sure they get rid of a bunch of things and get a cut of the real money. I imagine that such was done to ours. They changed the passwords twenty minutes apart from mine to Michelle's. I wish I could sell stuff that fast!
I don't know when they changed the NC soft password. Never got a notification, but it was changed. :angry:

I am still trying to work out as to why things that were highly valuable were left. Maybe the account got shut down before they could finish. Lots of things could have been sold at the merchant easily to make gold.

Why were there four unded mini liches in Michelle's account when there was only one before? And why was there an essence of celerity or two left in most of the characters inventories? At first I thought maybe they were making consets or something and these were left overs.....I don't know. One person told me that to make the trade less noticeable to the GW monitors they will trade items to make it look more legit. Low end gold and greens and other items. But the lowest price record for an unded lich on this site is 25k, and essences of celerity start around 2k....baffling. And we all know that price records here can be silly. :)

I am not sure, but my skill points seem to be much lower than I thought....maybe not.....not for certain.

In any case, just wanted to share with you guys my experience and get ideas to my curiosities and any input you might want to give. I am going to post excerpts from my sessions with NCsoft support in there entirety (minus sensitive info of course)

Again Thanks to all who have expressed their concern and/or offered help and items for us.

:wub: Love you guys.

Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:26 pm
Profile E-mail

Here is the gist of my Support experience.

Regards,
GM Jessica
The Guild Wars Support Team
Auto-Response 11/19/2009 07:53 AM

Our support department will handle your request as soon as possible.

Response (GM Jessica) 11/19/2009 09:09 AM

Thanks for getting in touch to ask about your account.
In order to better assist you with this account-related issue, I will transfer this question to our Account Support Department. An Account Support team member will be in contact with you very shortly.

Customer 11/19/2009 09:43 AM
Thanks for replying. we are still unable to log in. I have two automated response emails for both of our accounts. I can't get into my ncsoft account either. the two accounts are linked to the NCsoft master, and how they got the account names, and changed the passwords. I just hope you can at least recover the accounts. I suppose we have lost all our things. The IP address that changed it is in Xian China.
Response (GM Jessica) 11/19/2009 09:13 AM

I have combined all information regarding your issue on this single support ticket. The Guild Wars Support Team will respond to this ticket to provide assistance.

Response (Elana) 11/19/2009 12:19 PM

Thank you for calling NCsoft Billing Phone Support. As per our phone conversation, this support ticket has been created for you regarding the issue we discussed.
Your NCsoft master account name is ' ', and your password has been reset. An automatically generated password has been e-mailed to the address ' '. If you do not receive this e-mail, please check any spam/junk mail folders as some e-mail services might recognize the auto-generated password e-mail as spam.
Please let us know if need anything else.

Elana
NCsoft Account Support

Phone support for Billing and Technical issues is available Monday through Friday from 12PM to 5PM CST by calling 512-225-6359.

(*I added the bold below to highlight how much they care :o Kenny)
Response (GM Oghma) 11/19/2009 04:56 PM (*I added the bold to show how they care ;) Kenny
Hello,

Guild Wars does not have the capability to recover lost or deleted characters or items. No matter the cause for such loss, replacement of such things is simply not something that we are able to offer or support.
Our records show that a member of a Real-Money Trading (RMT) organization was able to access your accounts. These RMT workers are not "real" Guild Wars players. They do not have a main account to which all of your items have been moved. As soon as they were able to access your account they would have sold off any high end items and combined that gold with any gold already on your account to deliver to their customers. The Support Team goes to great lengths to prevent these RMT people from accessing our servers, and we block hundreds of accounts a week for RMT related activity. Unfortunately, these companies steal account information from actual players and use stolen credit cards to purchase new accounts to continue their black-market activities.
Because we know that our servers are secure, we believe it is possible that someone may have gained access to your accounts without your knowledge or permission. This can happen if you share your password, use the same e-mail and password on message boards, or even if you have accidentally installed a keylogger onto your computer.
Here are some tips to help you protect your account and keep your computer secure.

1. Never give your passwords to anyone, including family, friends, or guildmates.
Even if the person is normally trustworthy, you cannot guarantee that they will be following the same strong security precautions that you will follow. Also, there have been occasions when friends have deleted items or characters (often by accident) without the owner's knowledge or permission.
If you believe someone may have learned your password, change it right away.

2. Do not re-use the same username and password on other accounts.
For example, if someone learns the e-mail address and password that you use for a certain message board, it will be easy for them to log into your game account if you use the same e-mail address and password. Use different passwords to improve your account security.

3. Do not install third-party software (i.e. software not created by NCsoft or ArenaNet).
Programs that claim to be item modifiers, cheat programs, or even harmless looking programs such as attribute, skill, or dye calculators might actually contain a harmful virus or keylogger that could allow someone to steal your account information.

If you think you have accidentally installed a keylogger on your computer, you should:

a. Obtain anti-virus software, make sure it is updated with the latest files, and scan your system for viruses and key-loggers.
b. Change all the passwords for accounts that you may have accessed after installing the third party software, such as your Guild Wars game account, PlayNC master account, e-mail address account, fansite forum accounts, etc.
c. Never download any untrustworthy programs in the future! Even if you are confident that you can trust the third-party, please use extreme caution. Virus and keylogger creators rely on your trusting nature to help them steal your accounts from you.

4. Please review our Security FAQ at the following URL, which includes additional information for keeping your Guild Wars account secure:

http://us.ncsoft.com//us/support/doc_993.html

Please contact us again if you have any question or comments regarding this or any other issue.

Regards,

GM Oghma
The Guild Wars Support Team

Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:36 pm
Profile E-mail