It is currently Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:32 am

Account hack of Michelle and KennyLynd 
Staff

Post Re: Account hack of Michelle and KennyLynd
I feel really bad that this has happend to you guys!! I am offering my services to try to help you out...but I'm a "casual player" kind of like a "paycheck to paycheck" kind of player LOL But...if there is a certain green or gold item, even if there is one I already possess...I'd gladly trade a smile for it :) This is a pretty scary thing...if those people would put half of the effort into a real job....sheesh...

Good luck guys!!!

~ESQ~

Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:56 pm
Profile E-mail
Staff

Regarding the items that appeared on you characters:

What the thieves will do is trade something innocuous like a Celerity Essence for high-value items and gold - that way when the ANet support review activity on the GW Servers and look for gold trading - instead of seeing 100k exchanged for nothing they will see what appears to be a genuine transaction even if the values are way out of kilter. The transaction may pass scrutiny as legitimate or not - it depends entirely on the vigilance and awareness of the Log Readers of ANet.

They reckon it takes 80 minutes to hack an account, trade out the high-value items and gold and you will see innocuous item replaced simply to cover the in-game transactions.

If the account remains unsuspected, i.e. the owner does not realise the theft, the thieves, simply come back online on the stolen accounts and remove the celerity essences which do not show up as gold transfers and Anet will be unaware (as they only look for gold transactions unless they are following up on a particular hacked account!).

I reckon you simply reported the hack before the thieves could get back their innocuous items - the good thing is the thieves lose those items for future gold exchange which will be a pain for them . . . . . unfortunately it is not as much pain for them as I am sure you would love to inflict! ;)

Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:15 pm
Profile E-mail
Staff

Please do not be too upset by the emboldened comment from GM Oghma. The response is standard but their (GW Support) problem is that Guild Wars plays in real time so that they cannot manufacture items, create gold or restore items without upsetting the game mechanics i.e the gold that was stolen from your account still exists but they cannot physically retrieve it as it is unreal money and has become part of gold sold on to an innocent dupe who paid real money for game gold - something that is amoral but not a crime.

It is a bit like a stolen car that is sold onto a new owner by the thieves. The new owner has not done anything wrong and has paid good money for the car . . .

The problem for the Police is (a) do they seize the car and return it to the original owner (leaving the new owner out of pocket and out of a car!)? (b) Do the Police leave the new owner with the car and the old owner feeling aggrieved? Or (c) do the Police seize the car, upset both owners and let a Court decide who gets what . . . all at the expense of increased Insurance Premiums for everyone next year and two distraught owners who both paid good money for a car neither of them has in their possesion! The Answer is (c) and believe me, that is incredibly hard to see happen but it is the reality . . . . there are no winners except thieves! It's enough to make one turn to crime - I just don't recommend it. :(

Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:33 pm
Profile E-mail

I stopped playing gw for about 2 years, and sometime during this the account was hacked. I know when as it was when my email address (a hotmail address) was hacked (the pw was not that strong). All they did was reset the pw and read it from the email, the new gw system of having a name of one of ur chars in the login is to help against this i think. Oddly the hackers didnt take all my items, only some and my gold. Anoyingly they sold most of my chars armor (but only the non elite armor, and i guess they did this to get the runes).

The long and the short of it is that I have got the armor back for all chars and the gold (by farming, which was fun after such a long break anyway, the items were old school as i stopped such a long time ago and therefore cheap to get back, Victo's axe was worth 20k when I stopped playing and I bought it back for 1k!). But be careful with email accounts as often they are the point of contact for things like game accounts, even if your game password is secure your email account may not be and all the hacker has to do is hit "reset pw" and HE gets sent the new pw!

Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:23 pm
Profile E-mail