It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:18 pm

Forum rules

The use of this forum is limited by these Terms of Service.

Trading on these forums is not allowed.
Ignoring this rule will result in a forum ban.

Bidding on items in different timezones 

Post Bidding on items in different timezones
Unfortunately sometimes it happens the buyer and seller of items are on such different timezones, that it makes trading almost impossible. Maybe it's possible to build in a warning during bidding like:

"You are bidding on an auction from a user with a timezone 4 (or 5) or more hours different from yours. This might make trading difficult. Are you sure u want to make this bid?"

Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:53 pm

Post Re: Bidding on items in different timezones
As just a heads up alert, that's not a bad idea!

Not everyone has the same standard, "9 to 5" type schedule, regardless of timezone though. So I'd argue for a more carefully worded warning.

Perhaps something like,
Quote:
WARNING: You are placing a binding bid on an item from a seller in a timezone <X> hours <ahead of/behind> yours, according to your settings. Please check the seller's profile for any notes about available times and consider your own schedule before placing this binding bid.

would be more suitable? I'd not want the warning to discourage people from bidding at all, and expecting folks to send a PM asking about timezones before bidding is likely futile.

Some of us, despite our timezone, keep very odd hours; some of us are available in game way more frequently than others. There's only so much room for text in our profile notes, and I use mine for things I consider more important than when I'm likely to be in game (since I'm likely to be in game a lot if I have listings running.)

I've had almost no trouble catching up with buyers and sellers here, even when our schedules are quite different. At worst, it takes a few days and one or both of us logging in at a non-standard time to catch up. I realize not everyone can be logged into GW as often as I can, though.

Maybe, as sellers, we could opt for that warning to flash to our bidders or not? For example, add a field to users' profiles for a statement about availability in game and an option to check if the warning should flash to bidders or not.

So, I could have my availability statement like,
Quote:
I'm in GMT-5. I'm usually available to trade in GW every day during the evening and on weekends during the evening into late night.

and the warning to bidders could flash like,
Quote:
WARNING - you are placing a binding bid on an item where the seller specifies their normal availability to trade in game as,
Quote:
I'm in GMT-5. I'm usually available to trade in GW every day during the evening and on weekends during the evening into late night.
Please consider your own schedule and times you're available in game. Is it likely you will both be able to complete this trade promptly?

Would that be better? It would account for those of us who keep odd hours rather than the presumption that our only differences are timezones.

Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:51 am

Post Re: Bidding on items in different timezones
I know it's an old topic but I thought I'd throw this out there - I've started doing pretty much exactly this on my auctions and so far it's worked well.

In my case it seems that either I have extremely limited availability but also a very predictable schedule (at the moment for example I can only be on 4 hours a day on weekdays, but it's always the same 4 hours) or my schedule is unpredictable but a lot more flexible so I can generally arrange a time thats convenient for us both.

So I make sure my profile says when I'm likely to be on and I put a note in the items comments asking buyers to check before bidding. (If I'm buying I'll check their profile and/or ask.)

I've only had one problem with it and I think that's down to an excess of optimism in assuming we'll catch each other eventually as much as anything else.

Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:38 pm
Profile E-mail