[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4286: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
GW Auctions Forums - View topic - Dedicated and Undedicated Miniatures
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:18 pm

Forum rules

The use of this forum is limited by these .

Trading on these forums is not allowed.
Ignoring this rule will result in a forum ban.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Dedicated and Undedicated Miniatures 

Post Re: Dedicated and Undedicated Miniatures
why should we bar ded minis? why not bar unded minis? what if i have a ded oni i want to sell, thats not fair.

Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:41 pm
Profile E-mail
Staff

Simply because it IS Dedicated Minis that have become a serious problem.

People are bidding on them then reneging because they then realise they are dedicated and not the more valuable UNdedicated miniatures.

We have tried penalising people for breach of the Terms of Service - that has not stopped the problem.

We have tried putting a notice on the front page of the website - that has not stopped the problem.

We have tried advising Buyers but as soon as one person understands the difference, the next dedicated miniature gets bid on in error by someone else and the number of instances of this happening is not some minor quirk but a huge problem for the Sellers involved and the Moderators who have to deal with the frustration caused.

If this remained a low-level instance issue and only occassionally needed intervention then it would be just a quirk but the reneging on Dedicated Miniatures has become a serious problem and we need to understand the cause, the effect and recognise we need to do something.

The fact that we stop the trade of Dedicated Miniatures in GW Auctions would not prevent the trading in-game of these items so it is not stopping the trade just removing the issue to in-game where on-the-spot trade will allow the Buyer to inspect before buying without causing the same level of frustration as IS being caused within GW Auctions.

Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:46 pm
Profile E-mail
Staff

Besides any issues if we should allow trading of dedicated miniatures or not, I'm afraid we can't bar them. We could technically remove them from the quicklist and even have the site block auctions that look like dedicated miniatures. However, that doesn't block the auctions that really are wrong and may actually encourage people to list the dedicated miniatures as normal miniatures with something in the description about it being dedicated.

I could also add an additional warning for dedicated miniatures, similar to what ArenaNet does when trading dedicated miniatures. If people still bid on them then by accident, no more escape clause and they will be penalized.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:00 am
Profile E-mail

Looks like you are having the usual problems of peoplle becomming illiterate as soonas they see a low price.

How about the following pretty simple change.

You split the Minipet auctions completely into Dedicated Minipets and Undedicated minipets? That way the bidders have even less excuse of "Wow, I completely overlooked that the Celestial Pig for 10K was dedicated... im so surprized because I thought the price was normal."

Alternatively. You could change the Background (not the text colour as that would just confuse people unneccesarily) of the listed dedicated miniptes to red instead of black to make it even more obvious.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:45 pm
Profile E-mail
Staff

The original suggestion was that the Quicklist would provide an Item Name for Dedicated and Undedicated that was beyond doubt, for example a Miniature Quetzal Sly would display as:

Miniature Quetzal Sly (Dedicated) if dedicated, or
Miniature Quetzal Sly (Undedicated) if undedicated

Both Quicklist items would load with the displayed in-game data as per current Quicklist loaded data:

Miniature Quetzal Sly (Dedicated)
Double-click to take out or put away.
Dedicated at Hall of Monuments.

or

Miniature Quetzal Sly (Undedicated)
Double-click to take out or put away.

No confusion, no need for escape clause and the only issue would be if someone tried to sell a dedicated miniature and pass it off as Undedicated - that happens (and cannot be prevented until point of trade) but that has always been less of an issue than the people who bid and renege on dedictated miniatures and fall back on their illiteracy or ignorance at the expense of frustration, time and effort on the part of Sellers or Staff. Fraudulent item misrepresentation we can always manage. Illiteracy is beyond our current level of auction site controls.

The Item Name classification was promoted by me as a quick win as Maarten only had to amend the current Miniature Quicklist (and, in theory, he still has to tinker with the list anyway as they do not include the 5th Year Presents yet. ;) )

Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:04 pm
Profile E-mail

Yea, thats already implemented Bearz. But you guys opened up this topic again after over a year, so apparently the problem is still around and I wanted to throw my suggestions in as an addition to teh already existing fixes :) .

Every time I list a dedicated Mini I even write in the auction notes "Please note, this Minipet is DEDICATED. Thank you." so that there is even less chance of someone bidding wrong, because every time tehy mouse over the picture taht text pops up.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:13 pm
Profile E-mail

At this point in GW... I doubt there's a market for ded minis anymore, other than the middle (5th year golds, ceratadons, destroyers, greens) to high end ones... I frankly can't imagine paying anything at all for white or even purple ded minis, regardless of year...

That is just an opinion of course... but it wouldn't be bad at all to stop seeing all those dedicated whites... everyone and their brother has one (or two) of those already...

Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:21 pm
Profile E-mail
Staff

Alas my suggestion from a year ago was not taken up as we don't just do things without chatting with the Community first and getting concensus for most changes and there was no concensus to adopt my proposal.

A year ago the problem existed but the change was not considered worthwhile as the problem was not that big - at that time. Now it seems to have come back with a vengeance recently as UNdedicated miniatures are, now, definitely of greater importance for those wishing to get them dedicated in THEIR HoMs for the bonuses that carry forward into GW2. With that impetus the problem of misatken bids for dedicated miniatures has become prevalent and very frustrating for Sellers of dedicated miniatures. Additionally many of the Reports we have to deal with as Reports are concerned with this issue and seem to me to be an issue we now need to resolve.

In my view, the barring of dedicated miniatures was just an option I thought worth putting up for discussion but I'd really like to revisit the clarity provided by my original suggestion of using the Item Name field to definitively mark Miniatures as either (Dedicated) or (Undedicated) as the offending Buyers will have even less excuse to bid and renege on their obligations to trade imposed under our Terms of Service. The difference is even more 'in yer face' than by mouseover.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:30 pm
Profile E-mail

I feel bad suggesting more work for Maarten, but could you add some function to the system like ...

Any listings for dedicated minipets automatically have a comment included like ...
"NOTE: This minipet has been dedicated. It CANNOT be placed into the Hall of Monuments."
... that would pop up under the picture in the listings like other comments do?

And then also, anyone placing a bid on a dedicated minipet auction would get an extra confirmation page that went something like ...
"You are placing a binding bid on a dedicated minipet. This minipet CANNOT be added to the Hall of Monuments. By placing your bid you are agreeing to buy this miniature even though neither you or anyone else can place it in their hall. You cannot retract your bid once it is placed. Are you absolutely sure you want to bid on this dedicated miniature?"
Default button: "No, I was mistaken. I do not want to place the bid"
Accept button: "Yes, I understand this minipet is dedicated. I do want to bid on it anyway."

True, it would not stop sellers from listing mistakes, but it seems that is not nearly as big a problem. True, users probably would still manage to bid on them by accident, but would a system like that help cut down on the frequency for Bearz and crew to have to deal with these issues?

Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:45 am
Staff

Perhaps, instead of having (Dedicated) or (Undedicated) in the [Item Name] field we could have that text inserted in the [Description Data] fields as a separate line like we automatically have Two-handed added to Staves and Hammers or Bow Type added to Bows of different types. Again the change should be just needed for the Quicklist Data which is in need of review and update for 5th (and soon for 6th) Year Birthday Presents anyway.

Just something that is more 'in yer face' than the current description difference is needed.

Warnings seem to get ignored and I've lost count of the number of people who never have read the Terms of Service let alone understand that bids are (or should be) irrevocable.

However, there is a a current choice page (displayed before making the bid irrevocable) for ALL items which has the confirmation buttons [No, go back to the Item] or [Yes, place the bid!]. This is where we perhaps could(?) place an 'in yer face' warning for bidders of Dedicated Miniatures to double-check whether they are bidding for a Dedicated or Undedicated Miniatures. If they then click on [Yes, place the bid!] - either ignoring the warning to check or reading it and still bidding -the escape clause becomes less plausible and we can then penalise under the Terms of Service Limitation #11 without having to recognise that a 'mistaken bid' can be made for a Dedicated Miniature which. all too often, used currently as THE excuse to renege on winning them.

Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:09 am
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next