[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4286: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
GW Auctions Forums - View topic - auctions open to all?
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:51 pm

Forum rules

The use of this forum is limited by these .

Trading on these forums is not allowed.
Ignoring this rule will result in a forum ban.

auctions open to all? 

Post auctions open to all?
i can understand why it is done but at the same time it is unfair to those that must share a IP address/or computer
but should not auctions be open to any account other then the person that opened the auction to bid on?
yes i could simply sell them the item but who's to say that someone wouldn't pay more then them?
personally i'd rather put it up for bid and if they want it they can bid on it just like everyone else...
but currently that isn't possible since we share the internet here...so it see's me as trying to bid on my own auction i guess which is not in fact the case...
not really sure if anything can/could be done about it
and i can see/understand why you'd not want to also...

but i guess it just bothers me i'm losing a bid LOL

Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:05 pm
Profile E-mail
Staff

Post Re: auctions open to all?
Bidding on auctions from people sharing an internet connection is prohibited to prevent one person from messing with his own auctions in a way he isn't meant too. That's the only reason. ;)

Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:20 pm
Profile E-mail
Staff

And there is the risk that friends may bid on each others auctions to create a kind of "Chandelier Bidding" or some other art form of auction bids process that is collusion to bid up the price of an item - even if done in all innocence.

So although the block is there to prevent one person creating duplicate account to tinker unfairly with the bids process it has, in the past, also prevented groups of people doing the same thing.

Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:40 am
Profile E-mail

well...
i will not be trading my current auctions
nor will i be trading on here any longer
i'm sorry to those who currently have bids on my items BUT i simply cannot and will not do business in a sitution where i'm forced to discrimanate away customers simply because they share an IP address with me...
you would not turn away customers in any real life sitution or you would be shut down very quickly...so i will not do it here either

once again sorry to those who currently have bids on any of my items

Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:26 pm
Profile E-mail
Staff

Actually, if you compare it to real life examples, employees in supermarkets or stores are often not allowed to service their own family members due to conflicts of interest. In normal circumstances there are at most a few people sharing an IP address and they all know each other. If you truly want to trade with them you can do so privately. For security reasons and danger of unfair practices we simply can't allow it here.

I hope you reconsider your decision. If not, I'm afraid you will be breaching our Terms of Service and we will sadly have little choice but to take action against your account.

/edit: Not to mention it is extremely rude and arrogant.

Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:07 pm
Profile E-mail

meh - if i had someone living with me and they was playing the game - then I would just sell to them outright. Or if I wanted to see if people would offer more - then I would put it up for auction for the price im looking for. I have done this with friends in game - would be the same situation if they was in my household. There's always ways to work it out like others have said - I'd hate to see a great trader on GWAuctions go :(

Fraternal Hero - Pink Animal Clan [pink] Leader
Fraternal Hero Il - The Pink Clan [pink] Officer

Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:11 am
Profile E-mail

meh...don't matter
i made the trades(except for 1)
but am now blocked
<shrug>

Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:40 am
Profile E-mail