[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4286: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
GW Auctions Forums - View topic - Is selling items as b/o only but accepting offers by PM ok?
It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:32 am

Forum rules

The use of this forum is limited by these .

Trading on these forums is not allowed.
Ignoring this rule will result in a forum ban.

Is selling items as b/o only but accepting offers by PM ok? 

Post Is selling items as b/o only but accepting offers by PM ok?
Hi there,

I'm new to gwauctions, but I've heard great things from folks! I am not at all new to GW or GW trading via fansites at another site which I won't name. A couple folks in the shoutbox have already recognized me from there, though.

I do not like running things as official, binding auctions if I can avoid it. It's far more my speed to have a price listed up front and haggle as needed on a case-by-case basis. I'm fine with buyouts being binding and having a grace period, and I have never been unable to deliver an item which someone bought from one of my fansite listings. I'm sure it's no surprise to anyone here that there is no single venue where all GW players check for items they wish to trade. That's the reason I don't like auction formats - there's no way to tell when or where you'll find someone buying something you have to spare. Another big non-surprise is likely that there's almost never such a thing as "fixed price" for pixels in this game. Polite haggling is fine with me - I simply don't like it being binding.

At that other, unnamed site, it's explicitly against the auction rules to list items for sale as b/o only and mention anything like, "contact me if you want to haggle on the price." They have some kind of swap offer feature for that, but it's a big no-no to prompt anyone to complete a trade in a manner that would not allow them the ability to leave feedback there.

So my question is this - do the ToS here have that same restriction? In my b/o only auctions, is it ok to leave a comment like, "Contact me by PM here or in game if you want to make a counter offer to my b/o price?" I don't want to state anything like that without first checking that it's allowed. I did read the ToS here, but I didn't notice anything which would indicate such comments are a problem here. I read the rules at the other site, too, and that rule still came as a shock to me when I heard about it. Thus, I want to ask first here! :o I've noticed and like the price history feature here, so I would not participate in anyone buying out one of my listings here for an arranged discount which would leave an inaccurate price record in the database.

Similarly, is it against the rules here to PM a seller with a counter offer if they have something you're interested in but for more than you're willing to pay? I wouldn't want to do that if it's the sort of thing which could get the seller or myself in trouble with rule violations.

For the record, yes, I do know how to suspend and/or delete my listings before I trade the items away through another venue (thanks to Bearz for helping me figure that one out the other day!) I would not trade an item away if there was still an active listing of it.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Cheers & Happy New Year!
Luny

EDIT - Thanks to both Aesir and Wombat for their prompt and helpful responses below! I will try to get my listings' comments updated with "haggling" procedures soon.

Last edited by luny on Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:40 am

Post Re: Is selling items as b/o only but accepting offers by PM
Luny,

It's perfectly acceptable to to have that kind of flexibility. The site allows you to accept a bid early, so it's legal to work out a deal via PM or ingame (just make sure if the item already has a bid the winning person is the same lol)

Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:34 am
Profile E-mail
Staff

Yes we are flexible. from my point of view as long as you and buyer / seller come to an arrangement and do not upset other players in do so fine.

Catch you on the flip side

Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:04 am
Profile E-mail
Staff

Just be sure you don't have someone else bidding the buyout while you're selling the item in-game. That would result in breaching the ToS since you can't sell the item to the winning bidder anymore. Other than that, it doesn't show up in the price records, which is a shame really. But it's not against the rules.

On a side note though, some people get slightly annoyed when they're contacted with offers below their opening bid. Be careful with that ;)

Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:25 pm
Profile E-mail

Thanks to everyone above for the replies and warnings!

Most certainly, I would make sure that an active listing for the item in question was shut down (suspended and deleted) before I traded it away to someone that had not claimed the buyout through this system, yes.

As for contacting other people with counter offers, I do realize there is a risk of upsetting someone. However, I've yet to have such a problem myself (at least, no one's replied in a way that gave me the impression they were offended.)

It could be because I approach things more like, "Hi, I'm interested in your bow for sale, but I can't offer you more than 20k for it. No hard feelings whatsoever if that's not enough and no offense intended, but I figured it couldn't hurt to offer," instead of something like, "lol noob! no wai iz ur bow worth 40k! ill give u 20k for it." (Honestly, I can't fathom why the second approach ever results in any trades at all ... I haven't seen any pixels so spectacular that they're worth playing a video game with someone who acts like that.)

Cheers,
Luny

Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:30 am